PERÙ MIGRANTE. Promoviendo los derechos de los migrantes y fortaleciendo la lucha contra el tráfico ilegal de migrantes de Perú
Italy, Peru and Latin American countries.
In its overall objective, the project aims to contribute to the reduction of the legal, social and economic vulnerability of current and potential migrants, caused by the illegal smuggling of migrants from Peru towards Europe (Italy) and other Latin American countries.
The project aims to impact on the trend and the management practice of the migratory fluxes towards Europe, both contributing to the reduction of the illegal migration flow from Peru towards Europe (Italy in particular) and to an increase in the number of cases of illegal human trafficking brought to trial, thanks to denunciations issued by victims of the illegal smuggling of migrants.
In its long-term perspective, the project aims to strengthen the mechanisms which safeguard migrants’ rights, reducing in this way the legal, social and economic vulnerability of current and potential migrants.
These goals will be achieved through the active circulation of information and through a more effective action led by civil society organizations and state entities whose objective is to protect human rights.
The project actions will have a direct effect in terms of the improvement of services for the victims of irregular migration, higher standards of social monitoring and observation for the prevention of the phenomenon of illegal migration, and an overall improved social visibility of the problems caused by the illegal smuggling of migrants.
How it works
The project goals will be achieved through the following actions:
- 1.1. Training Program for Personnel of the Office of the Ombudsman (DP) on migratory, illegal migrant trafficking and human trafficking topics
- 1.2. Creation and implementation of attention protocols within the DP on the subject of illegal migrant trafficking and human trafficking
- 1.3. Research and publication of Reports about Peruvian migration and the role of the Office of the Ombudsman regarding prevention and protection
- 1.4. Coordination and information exchange with the Italian, Argentinean and Chilean migratory institutions in order to monitor and follow up on the phenomenon of illegal immigration and illegal migrant trafficking
- 2.1. Directory and database of civil society organizations and public officials and institutions involved in the prevention of migratory problems and the prevention of human trafficking.
- 2.2 Capacity building programme for operators and professionals belonging to the participating institutions that focus on or include the migratory phenomenon in their activities institutional actions.
- 2.3. National meetings/workshops for the launch and activation of the vigilance Network for legal migration and migrants’s rights
- 2.4. Political incidence plans for the compliance with legislation for the prevention of illegal migration and human trafficking.
- 2.5. Dissemination of information on migration, with a web platform for the vigilance network on migration and of the Annual Reports by the Observatory
- 3.1. Annual information campaigns (in Peru) for the promotion of legal migration
- 3.2. Production of orientation materials and information for participating public organisations
- 3.3. Awareness raising, counselling and information programme for associations of Peruvian migrants living in Italy
- 3.4. International seminars on the consequences and prevention of the illegal smuggling of migrants.
- Prevention and protection programmes and services for victims of illegal migration and smuggling of migrants set up and activated in Peru.
- Peruvian network of civil society organizations activated and strengthened, carried out actions of observation and surveillance on the phenomenon of illegal migration and smuggling of migrants towards Europe and other Latin American countries.
- Awareness raising among the general population in Peru, among State bodies involved in migratory issues and human rights protection, associations of Peruvian migrants abroad on the consequences of illegal migration and illegal smuggling of migrants to Europe (Italy) and Latin America.
As for internal evaluation, ProgettoMondo Mlal has a consolidated evaluation model based on the Program of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and the methodological tools of evaluative research. An in-itinere monitoring will permit the adjustment and feedback of the work plan, with primary consideration for those methodological aspects that may allow for a significant advancement. The face to face follow-up will be carried out monthly for monitoring and quarterly through self-evaluation points. Each component will be evaluated in parallel and with global coordination.
Moreover, semiannual internal evaluations, interim external evaluations, and final external evaluations will take into account the following principal criteria: Relevance, Efficiency, Efficacy, Impact and Sustainability in addition to the following qualitative criteria: Skills produced, Participation achieved, and Adaptability.
The project is targeted to four specific groups of beneficiaries:
- 80 officials of the Defensoría del Pueblo who works in the National Programmes and Care Modules at a national level;
- 200 officers and consultants belonging to Peruvian CSOs that specialise in the field of human rights at a local and national level, which will be articulated in a national surveillance network;
- 200 officials of other State entities belonging, for example, to the Ministries of the Interior and of Foreign Relations, the General Direction of Migration, National Peruvian Police Corps, who will be involved in the awareness raising process;
- 300 members of Peruvian migrants’ associations residing in Italy that will take part in an awareness-raising programme to activate informal measures to prevent the phenomenon of irregular migratory practices and illegal smuggling of migrants.
Finally, as many studies show that more than 50% of all Peruvian migrants are young women (20 to 40-years old), the project will address their specific needs and constraints.
Source of funding
EU Funding - EuropeAid/128764/C/ACT/Multi - Thematic programme of cooperation with third countries in the areas of migration and asylum - Restricted Call for Proposals 2009-2010.
- Forum Solidaridad Perú, Perù;
- Fondazione Iniziative e Studi sulla Multi Etnicità (ISMU) - ISMU Foundation – Initiatives and Studies on Multiethnicity, Italy.
- Defensoria del Pueblo, Perù;
- Plataforma Interamericana de Derechos Humanos, Democracia y Desarrollo - Capitulo Peruano - (PPDHDD), Perù.
ProgettoMondo Mlal: Daniela Grisi, email@example.com
ISMU Foundation: Alessandra Barzaghi, firstname.lastname@example.org