PLUSVALOR - PLUrilinguism Strengthening VALorisation Of Roots
Hungary (Bucharest), Italy (Milan), Romania (Budapest), The Netherlands (Tilburg).
The idea of the project derives from two experiences carried out in
Milan from 2005 to 2008, “Laboratorio Interculturale” and “Apriti
Sesamo”, aiming to enhance and maintain the linguistic heritage of
migrants, involving about 500 Arab-speaking children and 100 parents.
PLUSVALOR, through a research action approach, goes deeper into issues concerning the relationship between Language of Origin and Second Language in migratory contexts, under the perspective of plurilingualism and intercultural education.
Arabic courses are carried out for children along with training sessions for their families on the issues of active citizenship and orientation to the hosting country.
The project intends to:
- spread the aim of plurilingualism into primary and secondary school in partner countries, mainly through the activities of valorisation of migrants’ language of origin (e.g. Arabic courses), intended to develop language competences inside the European language portfolio;
- develop innovative methodologies for valorisation of the language of origin in migratory contexts, in constant reference to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- spread the use of CEFR to all the partner countries, also in order to foster the spreading of language certification and contribute to diffuse plurilingualism;
- develop a model of citizenship education for adults in migratory situations and in the new European contexts (Romania, Hungary), also in order to foster the migrant families’ social inclusion, supporting parents’ role in the new contexts of migration.
How it works
Partners apply research action as prevailing methodology of intervention, valorising competences and experiences of each one.The aims of the project are achieved by partners through different actions, each one comes after a context analysis in the filed:
- Arab language courses held in primary and secondary public schools in Milan (organized in the VALORI network – VALorization of the Language of ORIgin) addressed to Arab and non-Arab speaking students (VALORI network);
- training sessions on CEFR, active teaching/learning methodologies in a European educational context, pedagogical-didactic monitoring meeting addressed to the Arab-speaking teachers;
- training sessions on plurilingualism, L1-L2 relationship and use of CEFR, addressed to Italian teachers of primary and secondary schools.
- Elaboration and production of didactic materials for Arabic teaching, to be used in the Arabic courses in Italy.
- Training sessions on L1 (Hungarian) – L2 (Roma language) relationship, plurilingualism, Roma children’s integration and intercultural education, addressed to Hungarian teachers.
- Courses of Italian as a foreign/second language plus orientation/alignment sessions to Italian education system, addressed to Romanian students in the process of migration to Italy;
- courses of Italian as a foreign/second language plus training sessions on active citizenship and orientation to the Italian society, addressed to their parents in the process of migration to Italy.
- 2 booklets for each partner, distributed among the local educational institutions used as vademecum for teachers. Main topics: plurilingualism, 1st language valorisation, relationship between 1st and 2nd languages of the concerned country.
Booklet 1: studies and surveys.
Booklet 2: collection of experiences and case studies;
- research-action model and CEFR-based materials for Arabic teaching, in the aim of 1st language valorization;
- 1st year: 22 courses of Arabic, held in 10 public schools, more than 160 students trained;
- 2nd year: 20 courses of Arabic, held in 10 public schools, more than 200 students trained;
- research-action model in Italian teaching/learning as 2nd language for migrants;
- educational paths in Italian as 2nd language for migrants;
- materials for Italian teaching/learning and tools for education to citizenship, orientation to services, alignment to Italian education system;
- training courses on CEFR, pluringualism and Roma language and culture;
- educational paths in intercultural education for new European citizens (Hungarian, Romanian);
- events of dissemination (1 conference on pluringualism, 1 seminar on Intercultural education) with proceedings;
- project website (open-knowledge-oriented: free access to the booklets and the proceedings).
Quality is e assured by:
- a scientific supervision of Universities and Adult education\LLP institutions involved in the project, regarded as experience-owner;
- constant monitoring (partners periodical meetings; users’ satisfaction questionnaires, inspections on experimental paths);
- one supervision team per partner country and crossed inspection trips to validate local monitoring.
- Primary and secondary schools students and adults in Romania, Hungary and Italy who attended Italian, Arabic and intercultural training courses;
- primary and secondary school teachers in Romania, Hungary and Italy who attended teacher training courses;
- European citizens by means of the awareness-raising activities on intercultural issues and European integration.
Source of funding
EU Funding, DG EAC, Lifelong Learning Sub-programmes – Multilateral Projects, Networks.
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore di Milano (UC), Italy - International Relation Office.
- Ec-pec Alapitvany, Hungary;
- Fondazione Ismu - Iniziative e Studi sulla Multietnicità, Italy;
- Societatea Romana Pentru Educatie Permanenta, Romania;
- Stichting Katholieke Universiteit Brabant, The Netherlands.